Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Thoughts from my boy friend

My boy friend, upon reading my other post here, brought up some interesting points about how people see you.

He has recently been reading "Paper Towns" by John Green, which apparently has a lot to do with how people perceive each other. (Haven't read it myself)

He brought up some interesting bits about how most people seem to come up with a "Paper" you.  They see the idea or thought of who you are, not the actual you.  They view you as a two-dimensional thing, failing to see the complex person that you are behind the surface.

I think for the most part this is true.  But everyone and awhile, that slips away and you form a deeper connection.  I think in a way, my rants helps strip away some of his "paper" perception of me.

I know for a fact that I am sometimes guilty of this, but I try myself not to be. Often, when I find I have done this, I will go out of my way to try and see past the "paper" construct I create.  I like to think I am more aware of this due to my seemingly irregular views on identity.

If you find that someone is treating you as a "paper" perception, don't be too hard on them.  Just try and show them some part of you outside that normal perception.  Go outside your comfort zone a bit if you have too, just don't take it personally.  Because I guarantee that you have done it too.

1 comment:

  1. I might also add that my boy friend is one of the most amazing and understanding person I have ever met! I was initially a bit scared when I realized he was reading it, but he saw it as a rather positive thing. Kirk, if your reading this, I love you <3

    ReplyDelete